Almost every photo is ©MissLoony, when the photo I use isn't mine I'll post a credit to the author! So no sticky paws please!:)

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Small conquests

I haven't had much time to write lately, enjoying the rest of my summer vacations while I can (: and doing something good instead of spending the day in front of the computer!

Regarding my "diet", I'm really happy with it! I'm half way through my goal,I've already lost 5kg ^^ even eating my ice creams (I love them and eat them even in winter,so I can't say no on summer,can I? ^^;). I'm really motivated to keep it up :)


I also have another thing that is making me tremendously happy, my german shepherd has a phobia since a baby - the swiming pool.
When he had just a few months he fell a couple of times on the pool (He tried to drink the water from it) and at the time we panicked and removed him without even teaching him how to get out. Since then the pool has been a huge enemy to him, he's afraid of it and he gets into panic mode everytime someone get's in, and if children get into the pool it's ten times worse!He acts like he's afraid they'll drown, running arround the pool and crying,trying to pull them out.


So this year I decided to help him face his fears, and boy am I glad I did.
I've watched some episodes of Cesar Millan's "The dog whisperer" and saw him help a lot of dog's with phobias, I learned a lot with him, being calm and assertive was something that really helped me, and because of him I never gave up. He had some hard cases to work on but he never gave up on them, patiente really is a virtue and I've learned that the hard way.

The first couple of days I started to train him I ended up giving up because my mother and sister where always saying things like "oh poor thing, don't force him"; "He's scared,there is no use in pushing him", this made me feel guilty and I just gave up. So after that I decided to do it when nobody was arround, nobody to help but nobody to make me feel guilty, after all I was helping him conquer a fear and there is nothing to feel guilty about that!
That day I was able to make him get into the pool stairs, it took about 1 hour and he didn't enter the pool normaly, I had to "drag" his back feet into the pool,let him calm down and them pull the rest of his body. He was scared,shaking and dying to get out.

The next couple of days it took less time to get him inside the pool but he got in the same way, back feet first, but he was able to swim just a little.


I wasn't satisfied.


On the 4th or 5th day I was able to get him into the pool without a leash, and he swam to the end of the pool a lot of times! I was thrilled! but something was missing, the entry.
So yesterday I decided - Today he will get into the pool with his front paws! He needs
to deal with his fears face to face! - It took a while and some help but he did! He was a little clumsy but he did it, and he went to swim after his toy ball. I was so proud of him. Then he did something that amazed me, we came back to the stairs but instead of rushing out like he always had done he stayed there and sat down looking at me with a - Can you throw the ball again?- expression on his face, I was overjoyed! I gave him his little treat to reward him and then spend a while throwing his ball for him to fetch.  He looked nothing like he did on the first day, he was calm, happy and playful, no more shaking, panting  or anxious cries to get out.
I had a huge smile on my face, my little boy had done it! Of course I still have a lot of work to do, he still needs company and help to get in, but that's nothing compared to his drama from before.

I'm proud of him just like a mom is proud when her children succeed in life.
And this has been filling my days, my four legged children.
College is just around the corner and my nerves are rising, new experiences, new people - a whole freshman year to get me busy!
I already miss my summer vacations eheh :)

1 comment:

Arith Härger said...

Já sabes que gosto muito quando publicas algo no blog. Estou muito orgulhoso de ti, não só pelo facto de que quiseste fazer essa dieta e estás a levala até ao fim e muito bem, não desististe e está a resultar bastante bem com oestou também orgulhoso de teres conseguido meter o tomas a nadar na piscina o que é uma grande grande victoria! Se não fosses tu, os teus canitos eram mais tristes. Parabéns meu amor